Friday, October 22, 2010
Garlicky Lemon Broccoli
Here's a quick, flavorful side dish for a busy night!
The one bit of the recipe that struck me as odd was the very first step: to peel the stems of 1 and 1/2 pounds broccoli spears with a vegetable peeler. Having never seen such an instruction before, I looked it up online, where it seems that broccoli stems can be quite bitter, so peeling them leads to a sweeter overall dish.
Once you've completed that step, combine the broccoli spears in a large skillet with 1/2 cup water; cover and cook over medium-high heat for 6 minutes. Remove the broccoli from pan, and wipe the pan down with a paper towel.
Reduce the heat to medium, and melt 2 teaspoons vegan butter (such as Earth Balance) in the pan; add 1/4 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. black pepper, and 2 chopped garlic cloves; cook for 2 minutes.
Return the broccoli to the pan and toss to coat, then sprinkle with 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind and drizzle with 2 teaspoons lemon juice.
1 cup of broccoli makes a side serving of 70 calories.
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html