This one-dish meal is perfect for busy nights!
Heat 1 and 1/2 teaspoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat; add 1/2 cup chopped onion and 3/4 tsp. minced garlic, and saute for 3 minutes.
Stir in 2 tablespoons lemon juice, 1/2 tsp. ground cumin, 1/4 tsp. black pepper, 1 (15-ounce) rinsed and drained can of chickpeas, and 1 (14.5-ounce) undrained can of diced tomatoes; bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 6 minutes. At the end, stir in 1/4 cup chopped green onions.
Note: I had to omit the black pepper tonight, because I was all out! I guess even staples run out sometimes.
Meanwhile, bring 2 cups water to a boil in a saucepan; add 1/2 cup dry polenta, stirring with a whisk. Reduce heat and simmer for 3 minutes, stirring frequently, then remove from heat. Stir in 1 and 1/2 teaspoons vegan butter (such as Earth Balance - which I forgot!), then cover and let stand until the stew is finished cooking.
Serve 1 and 1/3 cups stew over 2/3 cup polenta in each of 3 bowls. Dollop each serving with 2 tablespoons vegan sour cream (such as Tofutti). Each serving is 400 calories.
canned chickpeas $1.99
canned diced tomatoes $1.99
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html