This tasty soup comes together in minutes.
Heat 1 teaspoon vegetable or canola oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon bottled minced garlic (I actually used dried minced garlic) and saute for 1 minute. Stir in 2 cups water, 1/2 tsp. chipotle chile powder, 3 rinsed and drained (15-ounce) cans of black beans, and 8 ounces of bottled salsa; bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 1 minute.
For the salsa, try Organicville, which is certified vegan. Use mild, medium, or hot, depending how spicy you want this soup to be - I chose mild this time around!
Transfer 3 cups of the soup mixture to a blender and puree until smooth. Return the pureed mixture back to the pan with the rest of the soup. Stir in 1 tablespoon fresh-squeezed lime juice, and simmer the soup for a final 10 minutes.
Remove from heat and stir in 1/2 cup chopped cilantro.
Ladle 1 and 1/4 cups soup into each of 5 bowls. Sprinkle each serving with about 2 tablespoons shredded vegan Monterey Jack (such as Vegan Gourmet). Each serving is 220 calories.
canned black beans $5.97
bottled salsa $4.39
vegan Monterey Jack $4.39
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html