Wondering what to do with all those leftover root veggies from the market, now that spring produce is upon us? This soup ought to take care of them all!
In a Dutch oven, combine 1 and 1/2 cups peeled and chopped baking potato, 1 and 1/4 cups peeled and chopped turnips, 3/4 cup peeled and chopped rutabaga, 1/2 cup peeled and chopped butternut squash, 1/2 cup chopped onion, 1/4 cup peeled and chopped carrot, 3/4 tsp. dried sage, 1/8 tsp. salt, and 14 ounces of vegetable broth.
Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before transferring to a blender; process until smooth. Depending on the size of your blender, it will probably be a good idea to work in batches, and transfer the pureed soup to a bowl after each batch.
Return the pureed soup to the saucepan, and stir in 1 cup plain soy milk (such as Silk). Cook over medium heat just until thoroughly heated.
Ladle 1 and 1/4 cups of soup into each of 4 bowls. Each serving is 130 calories. Double all the quantities above, if you have even more leftover root veggies!
baking potato $0.92
butternut squash $2.81
plain soy milk $2.49
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html