Here's a quick side dish or easy portable lunch.
Bring 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons vegetable broth to a simmer in a saucepan. Add 1/8 tsp. crushed saffron threads - the original recipe said to "stir to dissolve" although my saffron didn't quite dissolve all the way. Set aside and cover to keep warm.
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a separate saucepan over medium-high heat. Add 3/4 cups uncooked couscous and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Pour in the broth mixture, along with 1/4 tsp. hot sauce (I like the certified vegan Hot Stuff from the Wizard), 1/8 tsp. salt, and 1/8 tsp. black pepper. Bring to a boil (which will happen quickly!) then cover, remove from heat, and let stand 5 minutes.
Fluff with a fork and stir in 3 tablespoons chopped green onion (meaning the dark green part). This makes enough for 3 servings of 2/3 a cup and 220 calories each, but you can double the recipe easily.
vegetable broth $2.67
green onions $0.99
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html