It's hard for me to tire of roasted butternut squash as a side dish this time of year - it's just a question of varying the flavors that accompany the squash! Recently, I roasted squash with red peppers and rosemary. Tonight, pride of place goes to garlic and thyme.
In a large bowl, combine 5 cups of peeled and cubed butternut squash (make the cubes between 1 inch and 2 inches big), 1 and 1/2 teaspoons olive oil, 1/4 tsp. salt, 1/8 tsp. black pepper, 6 unpeeled garlic cloves, 4 thyme sprigs, and 3 bay leaves. Toss to coat.
Arrange the squash mixture in a single layer on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 450 degrees for 45 minutes, stirring at about the 20 minute mark.
Discard the thyme and bay leaves, and place about 1 cup of squash on each of 3 plates. Squeeze the garlic cloves to extract the pulp over the squash before eating for a taste that's divine. Each serving is 140 calories.
butternut squash $5.36
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html