This dish was a very different variation on rice than any I've ever had before! I love finding novel flavors.
Combine 2 cups water and 1 cup basmati rice and let stand for 30 minutes; drain well and set the rice aside.
Meanwhile, combine 1 cup chopped cilantro and 2 seeded and chopped poblano chiles in a food processor with 2 tablespoons water; blend until smooth - almost like a pesto! Set aside.
Heat 1 and 1/2 teaspoons olive oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add 1 cup finely chopped onion (mine was probably closer to minced), 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper, 1/4 cup chopped green onions, and 1 minced garlic clove; saute 3 minutes.
Add the poblano mixture, and saute for 2 minutes.
Add the reserved rice, 2 cups of water and 1/4 tsp. salt; bring to a boil, then cover, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
You'll have enough for 4 side servings of 1 cup and 250 calories each.
basmati rice $2.40
poblano chiles $1.92
green bell pepper $1.44
green onions $0.99
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html