This dessert is refreshing on a warm spring afternoon or evening - and perfect for all the events that seem to happen this time of year - bridal showers, baby showers etc. Make it ahead of time and chill until ready to serve.
Combine 2 cups late-harvest Riesling (or other, unfiltered dessert wine of your choice), 1 cup orange juice, 6 (4-inch) strips of orange rind, and 2 tablespoons raw sugar in a saucepan. Split a 6-inch vanilla bean in half, and scrape out the seeds. Add the seeds and the bean to the saucepan. (Note: for the orange juice I bought the fresh-squeezed from Whole Foods' brand, which is nothing but pure fresh oj - no added sugar or water! You could also squeeze your own fresh).
Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Strain into a bowl over a large sieve, discarding the solids. Let cool for 30 minutes.
Stir in 6 cups halved strawberries and 2 and 1/2 cups orange sections, then cover and chill. You'll have 12 servings of 2/3 a cup and 60 calories. Garnish with mint sprigs for a pretty presentation!
late-harvest Riesling: $21.99
orange juice $1.99
vanilla bean $11.99
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html