I promised you more radishes! Braising them is a delicious way to make them tender and slightly sweeter.
Heat a saucepan coated with cooking spray over medium-low heat. Add 1/4 cup minced red onion and 1/2 tsp. dried thyme (or 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme, if you prefer); cook for 3 minutes. Add 3 cups radishes (smaller ones are better) and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
Add 1 cup unfiltered chardonnay (ergo, you can be sure its vegan); bring to a boil, then cover, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
Remove the radishes from the saucepan and transfer to a bowl, but leave the wine. Continue to cook for 2 minutes, until it becomes slightly thick. Remove from heat and stir in 1 tablespoon vegan butter (such as Earth Balance), and 1/4 tsp. salt.
Pour the wine mixture over the radishes. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon chopped parsley.
1/2 a cup makes a side serving of 40 calories.
red onion $0.44
radishes $0.70 (I think my cashier charged me wrong!)
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html