I should probably give you a good Memorial Day vegan entree for barbecues, but I promise you some of that later on in the summer. Right now, tomatoes are perfectly in season, and I could think of nothing better than to highlight that fact with this simple-as-can-be side dish. Bring it along to a Memorial Day barbecue, if you haven't already eaten it yourself!
Slice three tomatoes (about 1 lb. total) into six wedges each and place in a bowl.
Combine 1/4 cup lemon juice, one teaspoon raw sugar, one teaspoon olive oil, 1/4 tsp savory (or 1/2 tsp chopped fresh savory, if you can find it!), 1/4 tsp. salt, a dash of pepper and one minced garlic clove. Whisk it with a fork and then pour over the tomatoes, tossing gently to coat. Let stand for one hour, stirring occasionally.
Scoop out the tomatoes with a fork or slotted spoon. Each 1/2 cup serving is 40 calories.
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html