I always assumed that aioli was one of those traditional French foods I would just have to go without as a vegan - until I found this recipe, that is, and simply adapted it! (Aioli, for those who don't know, is a homemade mayonnaise, which is essentially just egg white and olive oil - but not in this version).
In a food processor, combine 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard, 1 1/2 tsp. lemon juice, 1/2 tsp. minced fresh garlic, a dash each of salt and pepper, and one large "egg white". For the vegan version, that simply means the equivalent of one egg, according to your egg replacement brand's directions. Whisk it with a fork so it's foamy, then add to the food processor. Blend together. Add in 1/4 cup olive oil. Blend.
Serve with slices of baguette. Each one ounce slice of bread plus one teaspoon of aioli is 120 calories. This recipe makes enough for a full 16 servings.
Dijon mustard $2.50
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html