What would the summer be without grilling? Alas, I find that, as a vegan, I am frequently leery of grilled food, because even well-meaning hosts ("I bought veggie burgers!") can quite simply not realize it matters that those veggie burgers are cooked on the same grill rack as beef, or tossed with meat-coated tongs. When in doubt, a great alternative is a grill pan over the stovetop. You get that same grilled taste, but without any of the meat residue.
For this recipe, combine together one tablespoon melted vegan butter (such as Earth Balance: http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html), a teaspoon and a half chopped mint, one teaspoon lemon juice, 1/4 tsp. chopped cilantro, a dash of pepper, and a dash of salt.
Heat a cast-iron grill pan (or prepare your grill) over medium-high heat. Coat it with cooking spray and grill the corn for ten minutes, turning frequently.
Place on a platter and brush each ear of corn with the 'butter' mixture using a pastry brush. Each ear is 150 calories.
corn on the cob $4.00
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html