Fresh yellow tomatoes shine in this summer salad! Serve al fresco with veggie burgers and corn on the cob.
Thinly slice 1/4 cup green onions, and place in a large bowl, along with 1 and 1/2 teaspoons minced and seeded jalapeno and 4 yellow tomatoes, each cut into 6 wedges (you want the tomatoes to total about 1 and 1/4 pounds).
Heat 2 and 1/4 teaspoons olive oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger, 1 and 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin, 1 and 1/2 teaspoons black pepper, 1 teaspoon paprika, 1/2 tsp. ground turmeric, and 2 minced garlic cloves; saute for 1 minute.
Add 6 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (the higher the quality the better!), 1 and 1/2 tablespoons organic brown sugar, and 1/4 tsp. coarse salt; bring to a boil, then continue to cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently.
Pour the balsamic syrup over the tomato mixture, and toss gently to coat. Let come to room temperature before serving.
3/4 cup makes a side serving of 80 calories. You can double this recipe easily!
green onions $0.99
yellow tomat0 $4.11
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html