This cereal is another warm way to start a cold morning! You can cook the entire batch all at once, or freeze the dry cereal in zip-top bags, in individual 1/2 cup portions.
In a bowl, combine 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed, 3/4 cup steel-cut oats, 1/4 cup golden raisins, 1/4 cup dried cherries, 3 tablespoons oat bran, 3 tablespoons wheat germ, 3 tablespoons sunflower seed kernels, 1/4 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. cinnamon and 1/4 tsp. nutmeg.
If you're making the cereal in one big batch, bring 4 and 1/2 cups water to a boil in a saucepan. Add the cereal, then cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Uncover and cook a final 2 minutes, stirring constantly - the cereal should be thick. This recipe makes enough for 3 servings of 1 and 1/2 cups and 330 calories each - but it also doubles easily!
As I mentioned, since the cereal is meant to be served immediately, you can make individual portions and freeze them for later. In that case, use 1 and 1/2 cups water per 1/2 cup dry cereal mix, and cook according to the directions above.
dried cherries $6.49
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html