I've made several savory barley dishes on this blog, but this time I thought I'd try a sweet version - this dish makes a great hot breakfast!
Place 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons uncooked pearl barley in a blender and process for about 15 to 20 seconds - it should be coarsely ground. Don't fret if not all of your barley grains are completely ground - the idea is just to crack the grain so they cook faster. Place the barley in a saucepan over medium heat and cook for 4 minutes, stirring frequently. Toasting the barley this way first gives the cereal a wonderful nutty flavor!
Add 2 and 1/2 cups water, 3 tablespoons organic brown sugar and 1/4 tsp. salt; bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 25 minutes, stirring frequently.
Add 1/2 cup plain soy milk (such as Silk), and cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly - the mixture should be thick by the end. Stir in 1/4 cup raisins, 1/4 cup quartered dried apricots, and 1/4 cup coarsely chopped slivered almonds (which you can toast first, if you like).
Spoon 1 cup of the hot cereal into each of 3 bowls - this dish is definitely best served immediately. Each bowlful is 330 calories.
pearl barley $3.19
dried apricots $0.49
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html