Last night I used a blender to make smoothies, but blenders are a great gadget for any number of other dishes beyond drinks! This barbecue sauce starts out on the stove (almost like a jam), and then gets pureed in the blender until smooth.
In a saucepan, combine 2 cups blueberries, 1/4 balsamic vinegar, 3 tablespoons raw sugar, 3 tablespoons ketchup, 1/2 tsp. garlic powder, and 1/4 tsp. salt. Bring to a boil (which will happen quickly!), then reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes, until slightly thick. Remove from heat and let cool.
For the ketchup, I like the one from Organicville since it is certified vegan, even though other brands on the market are often vegan as well.
Once the mixture has cooled, transfer it to a blender and process until smooth. 1/4 cup of barbecue sauce is 70 calories.
I sliced some thick slabs of firm tofu and grilled them in a grill pan, basted with this sauce. You might also try it over grilled seitan or vegan chicken patties, or as a dipping sauce for vegan chicken nuggets!
garlic powder $4.19
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html