This soup is perfect for a cold winter night.
Cut 1 pound of carrots into 2-inch pieces - the closer in size your pieces are to one another, the more uniformly they'll roast.
Place the carrot pieces in a baking dish coated with cooking spray, along with 2 teaspoons melted vegan butter (such as Earth Balance), and 1/8 tsp. black pepper, tossing to coat. Bake at 400 degrees for 35 minutes, stirring every ten minutes or so.
Combine the carrot mixture in a blender or food processor with 3/4 cup water and 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano (use 1/4 tsp. dried oregano, if you prefer); process until smooth.
Heat an additional 1/2 tsp. vegan butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add 1/4 tsp. ground cumin and cook for 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Add the carrot puree, 2 and 1/4 teaspoons agave nectar (in place of honey), 1 and 1/2 teaspoons fresh-squeezed lime juice, 1/8 tsp. black pepper, and 14 ounces vegetable broth. Bring to a simmer over medium heat.
Note: I had accidentally added a full 1/4 tsp. black pepper while roasting the carrots in the first step, so omitted the second dose of black pepper at the end here, figuring it all evened out.
1 cup of soup is 110 calories. Serve with a big entree salad!
fresh oregano $2.49
vegetable broth $3.79
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html