I'm still on a mission to prove that winter (root) vegetables don't deserve their bland reputation! Roasting is a good way to tame the naturally-peppery bite of turnips.
Coat a roasting pan or 8-inch square baking dish with cooking spray. In the pan, combine 1 tablespoon organic brown sugar, 2 teaspoons melted vegan butter (such as Earth Balance), 1/4 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper, 1/8 tsp. ground ginger, a dash of allspice, and 3 turnips (about 6 ounces each), each peeled and cut into 6 wedges.
Bake at 400 degrees for 35 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes or so. You'll have 4 side servings of 3/4 cup and 70 calories each.
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html