This recipe is the perfect way to use that French bread baguette you let get a day or two old - what you don't want to do is use a fresh baguette, or the waffles will be too soggy and soft.
Coat a waffle iron with cooking spray and let preheat.
In a bowl, combine 1 cup plain soy milk (such as Silk), 1 tablespoon raw sugar, 1 tablespoon melted vegan butter (such as Earth Balance), 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 1/2 tsp. cinnamon, and the equiavelent of 2 eggs using egg replacer (such as Ener-G).
Cut 7 ounces of French bread baguette into 16 (1/2-inch thick) slices. Arrange the slices in the bottom of a 13x9-inch baking dish, and pour the soy milk mixture over the bread. Let stand for 5 minutes. (The original recipe specified to turn the slices to coat, which I forgot, but there was enough soy milk mixture that both sides of my bread were able to soak in the liquid).
Cook the waffles in the waffle iron, 4 bread slices at a time, for about 3 to 5 minutes (mine were nicely golden after just 3 minutes). Repeat with the remaining bread slices. Try serving these with fresh berries, organic powdered sugar, or maple syrup.
4 waffles are a serving of 240 calories.
plain soy milk $2.99
French bread baguette $1.29
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html