If you're as exhausted from the holidays and New Years as I am, you probably want a simple weeknight dish. This pilaf fits the bill. Make it a side dish alongside some vegan protein, or double the portion to make it your main course.
Melt 2 teaspoons vegan butter (such as Earth Balance) in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add 2 tablespoons minced shallots and 1 minced garlic clove; saute for 1 minute. Add 1/2 cup uncooked basmati rice and saute for an additional minute.
Pour in 1 cup vegetable broth and 1/4 cup dry white wine - I chose an organic Sancerre. Bring to a boil, then cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes.
Remove from heat and stir in 2 tablespoons shredded vegan cheese in place of Parmesan (such as the vegan mozzarella from Galaxy Foods), 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley, 1/8 tsp. black pepper and just a pinch of salt.
This makes enough for 2 side servings of 3/4 cup and 270 calories each - or one main meal all for yourself!
vegetable broth $2.69
dry white wine $23.99
vegan cheese $3.39
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html