This salsa comes from a California cook, which I assume gave it its name. There are several novel ingredients, which put a new spin on traditional salsa. Serve with tortilla chips, add it to vegan tacos, or serve as a side dish to veggie burgers!
In a large bowl, combine: 2 cups chopped plum tomato (I was about 1/4 cup short, but it was too cold outside to dash out for a final tomato!), 1 cup chopped Granny Smith apple, 1/2 cup chopped cucumber, 1/2 cup corn kernels (this time of year I use frozen corn), 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper, 1/4 cup chopped green onion, 1/4 cup chopped red onion, 2 and 1/2 tablespoons chopped cilantro, 1 and 1/2 tablespoons fresh-squeezed lime juice, 1 tablespoon chopped and seeded jalapeno pepper, 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar, 1 and 1/2 teaspoons raw sugar, 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1/2 tsp. black pepper.
I preferred making this a little ahead of time, so the flavors would have time to meld. You can serve it either chilled or at room temperature - I quite liked the color contrast serving it with dark blue tortilla chips from Guiltless Gourmet. 1/2 cup of salsa is 40 calories.
plum tomato $1.47
Granny Smith apple $1.88
frozen corn $2.99
red bell pepper $3.19
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html