The flavors in this pasta dish were such a novel twist! Use a good organic 100% whole wheat penne such as Gia Russa.
Cut 4 and 1/2 cups of broccoli florets and 1/2 cup of broccoli stalks. Cook the florets and stalks in boiling water for 2 minutes, then drain and set aside.
Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add 1 and 1/2 cups chopped yellow onion and saute for 8 minutes. Add 1 minced garlic clove; saute for 1 minute.
Stir in the broccoli florets and stalks, along with 6 tablespoons pitted green olives, 2 tablespoons pine nuts (toast them first, if you like), 1 and 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh marjoram (use fresh oregano if you can't find marjoram), 1/4 tsp. salt, and 1/8 tsp. black pepper; cook for 2 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook 6 ounces uncooked whole wheat penne according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
Place 1 cup of pasta and 1 cup of the broccoli mixture on each of 3 plates. Top each serving with 1 tablespoon shredded vegan cheese in place of Parmesan - I used the vegan mozzarella from Galaxy Foods. Each serving is 400 calories.
yellow onion $0.54
green olives $4.99
fresh marjoram $2.49
whole wheat penne $3.49
vegan cheese $3.39
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html