I haven't had a bagel in ages! When I saw this recipe, I decided to ferret out a vegan brand, and found it easily with the multigrain bagels from Rudi's Organic Bakery. Do read ingredient labels for hidden things like honey if you choose another brand.
These toasty sandwiches make a quick weeknight supper. Peel and seed one small ripe avocado first, by slicing around its circumference with a knife, then twisting the two halves apart. The seed should come out easily.
In a bowl, combine 1/3 cup vegan cream cheese (such as Tofutti's Better than Cream Cheese), 1/4 cup minced cilantro and the avocado; mash with a fork until smooth. Stir in 1 tablespoon fresh-squeezed lime juice, 1/4 tsp. salt and 1/8 tsp. hot pepper sauce (such as the Hot Stuff from the Wizard).
Toast 4 (2-ounce) whole-grain bagels. Spread each bagel with 1/4 cup of the avocado spread for 4 servings of 240 calories. These make a great portable breakfast or lunch for work as well!
cream cheese $2.29
multigrain bagels $4.19
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html