The southwestern flavors of chiles and cilantro make this rice dish interesting. It's very yummy alongside the Farmers' Market Quesadillas I made a couple of nights ago.
Melt a tablespoon of vegan butter (such as Earth Balance) in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add 1/2 cup thinly sliced leek and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add 1 and 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly, then add 1 cup uncooked long-grain rice (such as basmati) and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
Add 2 cups vegetable broth, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, 1/4 tsp. salt, 1/8 tsp. ground coriander and a pinch of crumbled saffron threads. Bring to a boil, then cover, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes - the liquid should all be absorbed.
Just before serving, stir in 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro, 2 tablespoons canned chopped green chiles (undrained; I bought the ones from Whole Foods' 365 brand), and 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind.
3/4 cup is a side serving os 220 calories.
long-grain rice $3.94
vegetable broth $2.69
ground coriander $2.69
canned green chiles $0.99
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html