Try this quick side dish with any vegan entree - it's a great way to highlight summer squash, wonderfully in season right now. And only requires four minutes over the stove!
Shred 4 yellow summer squash (one and a half pounds total) using a vegetable peeler, to equal 5 cups of "ribbons." Set aside.
Heat one teaspoon olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet and add the summer squash, along with 1 cup thinly, vertically sliced red onion, and one minced garlic clove. Cook for four minutes.
Remove from heat and sprinkle with 1/4 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper, and a dash of black pepper.
The recipe called to top the vegetables with 1/4 cup shaved Parmesan cheese. The vegan gods were against me this week, though, and I couldn't find the block cheese from Galaxy Foods anywhere, normally my go-to when a recipe calls for shaved or sliced cheese. So instead, I used the pre-sliced Vegan mozzarella slices from Galaxy Foods, which is why the chunks of "cheese" in my recipe are a bit thicker than I would have liked. But the flavor works in a pinch.
This recipe makes four servings, of 3/4 cup and 90 calories each.
summer squash $3.10
red onion $1.65
Vegan cheese slices $3.39
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html