This is a quick easy meal for a weeknight supper. It's also extremely portable in tupperware, which is why I made it for today. (I'll be eating it on a plane; as a vegan, I've learned to always bring my own!)
Cook one cup dried orzo to result in two cups cooked orzo according to package directions. Drain, place in a bowl, and set aside.
In a saucepan, heat one teaspoon olive oil. Add two minced garlic cloves and saute for one minute. Then add 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley, 2 tablespoons water, 2 tablespoons dry white wine (try an organic sauvignon blanc), 1 tablespoon soy sauce (buy the low-sodium kind), 1/2 tsp. dried thyme, 1/4 tsp. dried oregano, 1/4 tsp. salt, a dash of pepper and one 8-oz package of button mushrooms, halved (some of the larger ones I cut into quarters).
Cook it all for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are nice and tender. Then combine in the bowl with your orzo and voila - dinner's ready!
This recipe yields two servings of 1 1/3 cups and 460 calories each.
soy sauce $3.49
8-oz pkg. mushrooms $2.79
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html