Sorry to be giving you so many appetizers lately, but they fit these early summer evenings and the lingering sunset/tapas hour so well!
For this one, preheat the broiler in your oven. Place half each of a red bell pepper, orange bell pepper, and yellow bell pepper (with membranes and seeds discarded) on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil, and press flat with the heel of your palm. Broil for 15 minutes, then transfer to ziplock plastic bags and let stand another 15 minutes. Remove from bags, peel back the skin (it should slip off easily) and finely chop.
Combine the three colors of bell pepper in a bowl along with 1/4 cup diced red onion, 2 tablespoons thinly sliced basil, and 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro.
Whisk together a tablespoon of white wine vinegar, a teaspoon and a half of olive oil, 3/4 tsp. raw sugar, and a dash of black pepper. Pour over the bell pepper mixture, cover and chill for tw0 hours. When you're ready, serve with 1/4-inch thick slices of baguette.
Spoon 2 tablespoons of the pepper mixture onto one slice for 110 calories.
red pepper $1.88
orange pepper $1.68
yellow pepper $1.88
red onion $1.45
white wine vinegar $3.99
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html