This spinach side dish comes from Korea - I enjoyed eating it cold, since it was a more novel taste for my American palate, but it can also be served at room temperature.
Steam 2 (10-ounce) packages of fresh spinach in two separate batches, for 5 minutes each. I do not have a vegetable steamer, but I heated about 1/4 cup water in the bottom of a large saucepan, added 1 bag of spinach, reduced the heat, covered and cooked for 5 minutes, which works just fine as a steaming method. Repeat with the second package of spinach.
Note: my grocery store sold spinach in 9-ounce packages, which I figured was close enough.
Transfer the steamed spinach to a colander and let cool slightly before you squeeze it dry - otherwise you'll burn your hands!
Combine the spinach in a bowl with 1/4 cup chopped green onions, 1 teaspoons sesame seeds (toast them first, if you like), 2 teaspoons soy sauce (preferably low sodium), 1/2 tsp. dark sesame oil, 1/4 tsp. coarse salt, and 2 minced garlic cloves. As I mentioned, serve chilled or at room temperature. 1/4 cup is 40 calories.
fresh spinach $7.98
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html