The original recipe suggested serving this easy sauce over chicken - I had mine over the vegan cluck-phrey patties from Food for Life - delicious!
In a blender, combine 3/4 cup cilantro leaves (I gave mine a light chop, but you don't need to), 1/4 cup chopped onion, 2 tablespoons unsalted pumpkinseeds (toast them first, if you like), 2 tablespoons chopped parsley, 1 tablespoon chopped and seeded jalapeno pepper, 1/4 tsp. salt, 2 peeled garlic cloves (which I also chopped without needing to!), 2 mint sprigs, and 7 ounces of salsa verde; process until well blended.
Note: you can use sunflower seeds instead of pumpkinseeds, although then you'll have to change the recipe title! Salsa verde is sold alongside regular salsa in the supermarket; it's green because it is made with tomatillos instead of tomatoes. It will most likely be vegan, whatever brand you choose, but I recommend a quick skim of the ingredients nonetheless - I saw one brand that used chicken stock!
You'll have 1 and 1/4 cups of sauce - 1 tablespoon is 30 calories.
salsa verde $4.69
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html