Sun-dried tomatoes are the secret to this gourmet version of ketchup!
Pour 2 cups of boiling water over 1 and 1/2 cups of sun-dried tomatoes (buy the kind packed without oil) in a large bowl; let stand for about 30 minutes, until the tomatoes soften.
Meanwhile, heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add 3/4 cup chopped onion and 1 small minced garlic clove; saute 4 minutes.
In a blender, combine the tomato mixture (including the water), the onion mixture, 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, 1 and 1/2 tablespoons organic brown sugar, 1 and 1/2 teaspoons tomato paste, and 1/2 tsp. salt. Puree until smooth.
Transfer the pureed mixture back into a saucepan - I used the same one from the onion mixture, but mopped up some of the excess olive oil with a paper towel, first. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, then partially cover, reduce the heat, and simmer for 30 minutes; stirring occasionally.
Chill thoroughly before serving. This ketchup is delicious over veggie burgers or vegan hot dogs, or as dipping sauce for vegan chicken nuggets - for my photo model, I used a Bistro burger from Amy's. 1 tablespoon of the ketchup is 20 calories; it will last in the fridge for up to a week.
sun-dried tomatoes packed without oil $2.69
tomato paste $2.39
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html