Unlike other sangrias, which often need to sit a while for the flavors to release, this one is best served immediately. What makes it traditionally 'Puerto-Rican' is the addition of dark rum. Prepare a large pitcher for friends!
In a pitcher, combine 1 and 1/2 cups lemon-lime soda (instead of Sprite, try the organic lemon-lime soda from Maine Root), 1 cup chopped pineapple, 1 cup chopped Granny Smith apple, 1/2 cup chopped mango, 1/4 cup orange sections, 1/4 cup dark rum (such as Bacardi Gold), 2 tablespoons raw sugar, and 1 (375-ml) bottle of dry white wine. Note: 375 ml is a "split" half-size bottle, not a regular full bottle. I used an organic Pouilly Fuisse, but any dry white will do just fine.
Serve immediately over ice - you'll have 6, 1-cup beverages of 140 calories each. Double this recipe if you really have a crowd!
lemon-lime soda $5.99
Granny Smith apple $1.73
dark rum $5.44
dry white wine $14.99
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html