Mojitos - a classic Cuban concoction of rum, mint, sugar, lime juice, and club soda - used to be one of my favorite bar drinks to order - until I learned some years ago that regular granulated sugar wasn't vegan and became more careful. Luckily I can still make this delicious drink quite easily at home!
Place 2 tablespoons raw sugar and 15 fresh mint leaves in the bottom of a 2-cup measuring cup. Crush with a wooden spoon - I like mine really finely crushed, so there are no big chunks of mint. Add 1/4 cup white rum (such as Bacardi Silver) and 1 and 1/2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice; stir until the sugar dissolves. Pour in 1/4 cup chilled club soda - I discovered the delightfully quaint seltzer water sold in an old-fashioned glass bottle from Boylan Bottle Co. and couldn't resist buying it.
Looks like their sodas are vegan-friendly, too, so check them out: www.boylanbottling.com
Place 1/2 cup ice cubes in a tall glass. Pour in the mojito mixture, and serve immediately! This makes enough for 1 drink of 240 calories. Keep extra limes and mint around, because people will want to make their own.
club soda $1.50
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html