This dish comes together quickly for a weeknight meal. Bring any leftovers in tupperware to work the next day. I recommend chopping all the vegetables in advance to make things move even faster.
Bring 3/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons water to a boil in a saucepan. Gradually stir in 1/2 cup uncooked couscous; remove from heat, cover and let stand 5 minutes, then fluff with a fork.
In another saucepan, steam 3/4 cups small broccoli florets, covered, for 3 minutes. Drain and set aside.
Combine the couscous and the broccoli in a large bowl with: 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion, 3 tablespoons shredded carrot, 2 tablespoons chopped cashews, 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar, 2 and 1/4 teaspoons olive oil, 1 and 1/2 teaspoons raw sugar, 3/4 tsp. curry powder, 1/2 tsp. minced fresh garlic (or 1/4 tsp. ground ginger, which I used), 1/4 tsp. salt, and 3/4 cups canned chickpeas (rinsed and drained - about half of a 15-ounce can).
Sprinkle the top with 6 tablespoons crumbled vegan feta - try the 'feta' from Sunergia.
1 and 1/4 cups is a filling entree of 410 calories.
broccoli florets $2.82
red onion $0.52
canned chickpeas $1.79
vegan feta $4.49
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html