Here's a quick side dish for a busy night! Steam up a second veggie, add a vegan protein, and you have a full meal.
Peel and cube just over a pound of Yukon gold potatoes (about 4). Place in a saucepan, cover with water and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
Drain the potatoes, and return to the pan. Add 1/3 cup warmed, plain soy milk (such as Silk; just heat it briefly over low heat beforehand), 1 tablespoon vegan butter (such as Earth Balance), 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish - sold in the refrigerated section of the supermarket - 1/4. tsp. coarse salt, and a dash of black pepper.
Mash with a potato masher to desired consistency - the smoother the better, in my opinion. Return to the burner and cook over low heat until warm.
2/3 cup is a side serving of 180 calories.
Yukon gold potatoes $1.15
soy milk $2.49
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html