A light summer salad that would make a good lunch or a side serving at dinner. Bonus points: it requires absolutely zero stove top or oven on a hot day!
In a food processor, blend together 1/4 cup lime juice, 2 tablespoons pistachios, 3 tablespoons water, 1 tablespoon canola oil, 2 tablespoons agave nectar (the vegan equivalent of honey), a dash of salt and 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper. Process until smooth, cover and chill.
Don't waste your time - or the heat! - roasting fresh beets for this recipe. Instead, take advantage of canned beets. Drain a 15-oz can of sliced beets, and chill the beets until you're ready to mix together the salad.
When ready to serve, toss 8 cups torn curly leaf lettuce and 1/2 cup vertically sliced red onion with the pistachio dressing. Serve 1 cup lettuce on each of six plates, and top each serving with about 5 beet slices. Each of the six servings is 100 calories, but you can double, triple this recipe etc. if making a main course out of the salad.
curly leaf lettuce $1.93
red onion $1.21
canned beets $0.99
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html