Pour 2 quarts (8 cups) of water in a large saucepan, along with 1/2 tsp. salt and bring to a boil. (Note: the original recipe called for 2 teaspoons of salt here, but I just couldn't - the sodium! I was raised not eating salt, so don't crave it, but add the full two teaspoons if your taste buds demand...). Once boiling, add a pound and a half (about 8 cups) fresh haricots verts. Cook for 2-3 minutes, then drain.
In a large skillet, melt 4 teaspoons vegan butter (such as Earth Balance) over medium heat. Add 1/3 cup thinly sliced garlic and 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots - cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. I know that sounds like a lot of garlic, but the flavor will mellow quickly as it cooks. If ever there was a time to buy the pre-peeled garlic in the prepared produce section of your grocery store, this is it. Otherwise, figure on using about a whole head.
Add the beans, 1/4 tsp. more salt, 1 tsp. chopped fresh rosemary and a dash of black pepper. Cook another 4 minutes.
The yield is 8, one-cup servings, 60 calories each.
haricots verts $7.70
peeled garlic $2.47
Thursday, July 3, 2008
Haricots Verts with Browned Garlic
Haricots verts - slender French green beans - are a great fresh summer side dish - and simple to prepare on a sultry-hot night!
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html