The biggest vegan challenge that this recipe posed was the amaretti cookies for which it called. Amaretti are a traditional Italian almond cookie, but they also contain egg whites. Luckily, Whole Foods did not let me down. On the shelves I found almond cookies from Joseph's, without any animal ingredients: www.josephslitecookies.com
4 to 8 hours ahead of time, slice strawberries to equal 3 cups. Place in a medium bowl along with 1/4 cup raw sugar and 1 tablespoon amaretto (almond flavored liqueur). Cover and refrigerate.
When it's time to serve, spoon 1/2 cup of the strawberry mixture into each of 3 dessert bowls. Crumble one almond cookie (amaretti) over each serving, and top with one tablespoon of vegan sour cream (such as the one from Tofutti: http://www.tofutti.com/ss-hydro.shtml). When the cookie crumbles mix with the sour cream it tastes like powdered sugar - yum!
Each serving is 210 calories.
More importantly, however, is the reason that I made a dessert recipe tonight; I had dinner at an Indian restaurant with a - drumroll please - vegan section to it's menu. I was thrilled! So I highly recommend that all vegans high to Chola Restaurant in NYC on East 58th street.
almond cookies $5.29
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html