Serve this as an hors d'oeuvre before a Friday night out.
Place either a poblano or anaheim chile on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil and broil for 3 and 1/2 minutes on each side. Let cool slightly before peeling off the skin, then make a lengthwise slit up the chile; open it and discard the seeds and stem. Chop and set aside.
In a food processor, combine 1 cup crumbled vegan feta (such as Sunergia), 1/4 cup plain soy yogurt (such as Whole Soy) and 1 tablespoon lemon juice; process until smooth.
Transfer to a bowl, and stir in the chopped chiles. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour so the flavors meld.
At serving time, cut 2 pitas into 8 wedges each. (The recipe didn't specify what size pita to use, so I bought standard 6-inch ones from The Baker; if you use another brand, check the ingredient list to be sure they are vegan!). 4 pita wedges plus about 3 tablespoons of dip is 160 calories.
poblano chile $0.76
vegan feta $3.69
plain soy yogurt $0.99
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html