Vegan, beware! If you've ever ordered a Bloody Mary for brunch in a restaurant, chances are it wasn't vegan. Most Bloody Mary mixes include Worcestershire sauce, which sneakily contains anchovies. Luckily, you can buy vegan Worcestershire sauce from Annie's Naturals: www.anniesnaturals.com This recipe will make a pitcher to serve 4 people - perfect to start off your Saturday brunch!
In a pitcher or bowl, combine 3 and 1/2 cups tomato juice (try an organic brand such as R.W. Knudsen, which is also low in sodium: www.knudsenjuices.com) with 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons vodka (I like Absolut), 1 and 1/2 tablespoons fresh-squeezed lime juice, 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish, 1 tablespoon vegan Worcestershire sauce, 1/2 tsp. garlic salt, 1/2 tsp. ground celery seed, 1/2 tsp. black pepper, and 3/4 tsp. hot sauce. Stir together and chill until just before serving.
Serve over ice in tall glasses and enjoy! Each 1 cup serving is 100 calories.
Note: I was sure I had garlic salt at home, but what I had was garlic pepper. So I reversed things above, using 1/2 tsp. garlic pepper and 1/2 tsp. salt - I figure it all works out the same in the end, right?
tomato juice $3.29
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html