Make this dip ahead of time so the flavors have time to meld - even the night before, if you prefer and have a busy afternoon! It makes a great party appetizer. You can serve with homemade pita chips, or, I decided to buy the adorable mini pitas from Whole Foods' market brand, which are the perfect size for dipping.
Heat a medium skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat; add 3 cups chopped onion and saute 2 minutes. Reduce the heat to low, then cover and cook for 20 minutes until golden brown, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and let cool.
In a bowl, combine 1 tablespoon vegan sour cream (such as Tofutti's Better Than Sour Cream) and 2 tablespoons softened vegan cream cheese (Tofutti also makes a great Better Than Cream Cheese). Blend well, then stir in 2 more tablespoons vegan sour cream, 3 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise (I like Spectrum's light canola mayo, but there are plenty of vegan options on the market!), 1/4 tsp. Worcestershire sauce (Annie's Natural's brand makes a vegan version without anchovies: www.anniesnaturals.com), 1/8 tsp. salt and a dash of ground red pepper.
Cover and refrigerate, as I mentioned, at least 8 hours but up to overnight. 1 tablespoon of dip is 30 calories.
vegan sour cream $2.49
Worcestershire sauce $3.69
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html